Get Your Own Email

Get a free e-mail account @mumbairocks.in

Monday, April 16, 2007

Identity Forecast: Sienna Miller Likely to Remain Tabloid Fodder


You probably haven't seen Factory Girl, so you probably also don't know that Sienna Miller does have some capabilities as an actress. If you've ever picked up a glossy while in line at the grocery store—which I know you have—then you do know she's also the British It girl who publicly hated on Pittsburgh, had cited mushrooms as her favorite drug and goes on and offsies with Jude Law.
When I heard she was playing in the adaptation of Michael Chabon's brilliant coming-of-age novel The Mysteries of Pittsburgh, I thought, Aha, here's her chance to de-Lindsay Lohan-ify her tabloidy public identity and become the little actress that could.
But then I snuck my way around the barbed wire ropes of production and snagged a screener of Pittsburgh. Rawson Marshall Thurber's adaptation of the work is bold and artistic. Die-hard Chabon fans have every right to complain that it isn't exactly faithful, but the heart of the book is here. The cast includes some serious actor types, like don't-tell-him-he-can't-play-young Peter Sarsgaard and (clap, clap, swoon) Nick Nolte.
And then there's Sienna, who doesn't even seem aware she's making an actual movie. Man, she must have really hated Pittsburgh, because watching this gave me flashbacks to her blasé work in Alfie. In scene after scene, she just sits there, as if to say, "I'm pretty, with nice eyeliner, and you can't have me. So, bugger off." Well, Sienna, when you're working with a cast like this, you really need to dig a little deeper.
Couldn't Nick Nolte have held some sort of an on-set acting seminar? Ah, if only. There's more to say, but I'll hold off till when (and if) the movie comes out big-time.

No comments: